Job Opening Full-Time Library Clerk (30 Hours/Week) Cooper Community Branch Library in Oakwood Paulding County Carnegie Library System The Paulding County Carnegie Library is accepting applications for the position of full-time Library Clerk at the Cooper Community Branch Library located in Oakwood, Ohio. To be considered, applicants must submit a signed application, a resume, and a cover letter stating why you think a public library is important to a rural community, to Susan Pieper, 205 S. Main Street, Paulding, Ohio 45879. Deadline is Friday, September 14, 2018, by 6:00 p.m. NO PHONE CALLS. Prior applicants must reapply to be considered. Applicants who fail to follow application instructions will not be considered. Library Clerk Job Description Job Purpose and Summary: The Library Clerk:
- Serves as the front line for all customer service.
- Checks books in and out.
- Answers the phone.
- Assists in implementing programming for all ages.
- Serves as a cooperative member of the library team.
The Library Clerk:
- Consistently presents Paulding County Carnegie Library and its services in a positive manner.
- Adheres to customer service guidelines and procedures as established by the library.
Qualifications, special skills, and special requirements include:
- Minimum educational requirement: High school diploma.
- Must be flexible to accommodate scheduling needs at branches and other public service departments.
- Must have a valid Ohio driver’s license, or the ability to obtain one in accordance with state law and access to dependable transportation.
- Experience in MS Office Suite, the Internet and the ability to use a computer are essential.
- Must be able to uphold the philosophy of Intellectual Freedom and privacy issues.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a team member.
- Must have dependable communication such as land-line phone or cell-phone.
- Experience with working with a variety of age-groups is a plus.
Typical duties, tasks and responsibilities may include:
- Interact in a friendly and welcoming manner with the public
- Operate the automated circulation system (check in/out materials, etc.)
- Answer phone and direct calls
- Register new borrowers and maintain patron records as needed
- Answer general reference questions using print and online resources
- Assist patrons in locating materials and other sources of information
- Provide general assistance to patrons using public computers
- Assist in implementing programming for all ages
- Create displays to highlight collection and/or services as directed
- Open and close the main library and/or branches
- Work at public service desk including operating fax machine, making copies for the public, using the laminating machine, etc.
- Provide readers’ advisory to patrons
- Collect statistics as needed and maintain spreadsheets
- Maintain smooth operations of inter-library loan requests
- Sort, separate, arrange, file or distribute incoming mail, products or material
- Serve as the person in charge of building as assigned, including nights and weekends
- Sort, shelve, and file various library material accurately according to library classification systems (Dewey Decimal)
- Read shelves for accuracy and reshelve misplaced items
- May be required to drive personal vehicle on library business as well as to and from work assigned locations
- Other activities may be assigned that support and promote the general operation of the library system
Salary and Benefits: Entry level wage is $9.00 per hour. Library Clerk positions may be full or part-time. Full-time (30 hours or over) employee benefits include: vacation, holiday, sick leave, Ohio PERS and shared expense health insurance. Employees working 25 hours per week are eligible for prorated vacation, sick leave, holiday and Ohio PERS. Schedule: Schedule includes day, evening and weekend hours. The library is closed on Sunday. Work Environment and Physical Demands: Normally seated, standing or walking at will; normal physical activity including some bending, pushing, pulling, and carrying, which may range up to 45 lbs. upon occasion. Keyboarding and working at a computer monitor for extended periods may be required. Extended periods of standing may be required when working at the public service desk. Phone usage, reading, speaking, and listening required. Must be able to speak and understand the English language. Must have access to and be legally able to drive a motor vehicle. Immediate Supervisor: Department Head, Branch Manager, and/or Assistant Director/Head of Adult Services ____________________________________________________________________________ The Paulding County Carnegie Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer, provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, family medical history, genetic information, military or veteran status, in accordance with Federal, State and Local laws.